Benromach was founded in 1898 by Duncan McCallum and F.W. Brickman, independent bottlers and retailer Gordon & Macphail bought the distillery in 1993, after it had been closed a decade earlier.
The first run of whisky was in 1997, with the distillery reopened by HRH The Prince of Wales a year later, and the first whiskies released for sale in 2004.
Benromach is different in Speyside as the whisky has a faint hint of peat. Before the 1960's this was the norm as each distillery malted their own barley, but commercial malting plants put a stop to that, and the faint smoke that Speyside once had. Gordon & Macphail decided that Benromach should have that traditional light smoke note once again, and their malts really do stand out from the crowd in Speyside.