MARGAUX, BORDEAUX, FRANCE
Home to the Sichel family since 1961, Château Angludet is one of the oldest properties in the Médoc, with a history which goes back to the twelfth century. It is named after Bertrand d'Angludet, a knight and lord of the noble residence which stood on this site in 1150.
Since 1758, the vineyard of Château Angludet has retained a configuration down the centuries which is very close to the original, 93 percent of the current surface area having nurtured vines for more than 250 years – exceptional continuity for a vineyard. Situated on a plateau of Garonne gravel, the vineyard overlooks the low terraces of the Gironde estuary. The gravely, sandy soil has good drainage, fostering concentration, finesse and elegance in the wines.
Managed today by Benjamin Sichel, the vineyard of Château Angludet covers a surface area of 32 hectares, all within the AOC Margaux winegrowing area and planted with 46 percent Cabernet Sauvignon, 41 percent Merlot and 13 percent Petit Verdot. The relatively large proportion of Petit Verdot demands hard work but imparts depth and richness to the wine.