Established in 1895 as a grocer by James Gordon and John Alexander MacPhail. John Urquhart joined the firm in the early days as an apprentice under James Gordon, and it is now his family that still own the business.

By the 1990s, they were a very established independent bottler, and then they bought the Benromach distillery in 1993, making it one of the few old distilleries still in Scottish hands.