The award-winning Weingut Schwarztrauber is located in the heart of the Palatinate. The estate was of cially founded in 1959, when Walter and Gerlinde Schwarztrauber decided to convert their mixed-use farm into a winery. But it was their son Gerhard who, after studying winemaking and falling in love with organic viticulture, convinced his parents to convert the farm. Today Gerhard farms 18 hectares of carefully managed vineyards (although his father still helps out) and oversees the cellars. They keep yields small and seek to preserve the ecological balance in everything they do. In the cellar Gerhard’s approach is measured and minimalistic— ning and ltering are kept to a minimum, and only small quantities of sulphur are used.